Completing the Sociology Major
To graduate with a Major in Sociology, a student must earn a minimum of 31 credits in Sociology. Sociology majors can also pursue the honors track.
- Required courses:
Soc 30900 Foundations of Sociological Theory
- Sociological Theory is an advanced class and should not be taken as a first sociology course.
Soc 30902 Methods of Sociological Research
- Methods is an advanced class and should not be taken as a first Sociology course.
Soc 30903 Statistics for Sociological Research
- Students who take another department’s statistics course to count toward another major (e.g., BAMG 20100, PSY 30100, ACMS 20340 or ECON 30330) may be approved by the DUS for having met the department’s requirement of a statistics course, but such courses do not carry Soc course credit. Therefore, if a student counts a statistics course toward another major, they must take an additional 3-credit Soc elective course to achieve the 31-credit requirement.
- Soc 33090 Sociology Proseminar (1 credit - take as early as possible)
- Soc 30900 Foundations of Sociological Theory
21 Elective credits
- Four 3-credit sociology courses at any level (10000 through 40000), for a minimum of 12 credits
- Three 3-credit 40000-level sociology courses, for a minimum of 9 credits (a senior thesis counts for two 40000 level courses)
Completing the Sociology Minor
To graduate with a Minor in Sociology, a student must earn 15 credits following these guidelines:
- SOC 30900 Foundations of Sociological Theory (3 credits)
- SOC 30902 Methods of Sociological Research (3 credits)
- 9 credits of Sociology electives (three, 3-credit sociology courses)
- 6 credits at any level (10000 through 40000) (2 3-credit sociology courses)
- At least 3 credits at the 40000 level (1 3-credit sociology course)
Completing the Sociology Honors Track
The Department of Sociology offers academically gifted and highly motivated students the opportunity to graduate with departmental honors. In order to participate in the honors track, students must be at least a first-semester junior with a minimum major GPA of 3.5.
The requirements for pursuing the sociology honors track are as follows:
- Students must maintain a 3.5 major GPA.
- Students are required to take a 3-credit standard-graded graduate-level sociology course. While any graduate sociology class is open to students on the honors track, students are required to get permission from the class instructor prior to requesting departmental approval from the DUS.
- Including the required graduate class, students on the honors track are required to earn at least 34 credits in sociology.
- Students are required to complete a senior thesis.
Advising: Please contact Mim Thomas, firstname.lastname@example.org or set up an appointment.