When do I need to DECLARE my Sociology major?

You can declare the Sociology major at any time as long as you have time to complete the requirements.  The best time to sign up for the major, however, is at the end of your freshman year or during your sophomore year, which allows you plenty of time to take the courses in proper sequence.  Contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies, Dr. Mim Thomas, for an appointment.  You may also schedule an appointment with the DUS just to hear more information about the major, to see if Sociology is for you. To set up a meeting, please make an appointment on her calendar.

Is there an HONORS track in Sociology?


Yes!  Please contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUS) for details about the

requirements and to see if you qualify.  You may also contact your individual faculty advisor to learn more about the honors option.  Additional information can be found at the Sociology Honors Program website.  In short, the additional requirements are as follows:

  • 3 credits of advanced work in an approved graduate level course (Honors track students earn 34 credits for graduation)
  • A senior thesis (2 of your 40000-level courses are devoted to this)

Is there a MINOR in Sociology?

Yes, the Department of Sociology now offers a Minor. The Minor in Sociology complements a major in business, a foreign language, political science, pre-professional studies, psychology, theology, etc. For students who do not have the time to complete the full Major, the Minor is a great option.

If I need ADVISING, who do I see?

Students may go to their individual faculty advisor or to the DUS at any time.  Students can find out who their individual faculty advisor is by visiting the Sociology Undergraduate Advising website.  These lists are also posted on the undergraduate advising bulletin board directly outside the entrance to the Department's main office: 4060C Jenkins Nanovic Halls.  Students should seek advising whenever they need it, and definitely before registering for the next semester's classes.

Will classes from other departments count towards my Sociology degree?

Ordinarily, students should plan on earning all of their sociology credits within the Sociology department here at Notre Dame.  However, in some cases courses from other departments and programs may be accepted as meeting the requirements of a sociology course. Students should seek approval from the DUS on all courses in question.

If I want to STUDY ABROAD, who do I talk to?

Study abroad is a great way to stretch your sociological imagination!  To gain the requisite online approval and to see if courses taken abroad will count toward the Sociology major, you should make an appointment to talk with the Sociology Department's Director of Undergraduate Studies.  The DUS will also help you plan out what courses to take before going abroad and which ones can wait until after you return.  For information on courses offered abroad and the requirements of each abroad program, consult the Office of International Studies website. 

Who do I see for my Sociology DEGREE AUDIT?

To go over your degree audit for your Sociology major, you should make an appointment with the Director of Undergraduate Studies, Dr. Mim Thomas .  To go over your degree audit for your university and college level requirements, you should see one of the undergraduate advisors in your college's undergraduate studies office.  In the College of Arts & Letters, that office is located in 104 O'Shaughnessy Hall.

Who do I talk to if I need DEPARTMENTAL APPROVAL for a class?

You should speak with the professor of the class to obtain consent/approval to take the class.  Once you have talked to the faculty member and have gained approval, you should contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies, Dr. Mim Thomas

Who do I see about DROPPING or ADDING a class or CHANGING a section, cross-listing, or number of credit hours for a course?

You will need to fill out an "eForm" to make changes. You will need to contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies (office: 4060C Jenkins Nanovic Halls) to effect changes to a Sociology course.

Can't reach DUS?
Please reach out to her assistant, Tracy Wickham Richards via email or at 631-6463.