Students on the Job Market
Mette Evelyn Bjerre
- Dissertation Title: "To Be, or Not to Be [Danish]: Multi-ethnic and Multi-racial Identity in a ‘Raceless’ Society"
- Dissertation Committee: Jennifer Jones (Co-Chair), Terence McDonnell (Co-Chair), Amy Langenkamp, Jennifer Huynh
- Research and Teaching Interests: Race, Ethnicity, and Immigration; Multiracial Identity; Sociology of Education; Qualitative Methods
- Dissertation Title: "The 'Hinge' in Humanitarian Development: How Groups Affect the Engagement of NGOs in Cross-Cultural Settings"
- Dissertation Committee: Lyn Spillman (chair), Kraig Beyerlein, Kevin Christiano, Tamara Kay
- Research and Teaching Interests: Religion, Organizations, Development, Theory
- Dissertation Title: "Liberty, Tyranny, and Decentralization: Accumulation of Power in Blockchain Systems"
- Dissertation Committee: David Hachen (chair), Omar Lizardo, Sarah Mustillo, Lyn Spillman
- Research and Teaching Interests: Computational Sociology, Quantitative Methods, Social Network Analysis, Sociology of Technology
- Dissertation Title: "From Reform to Recoupling: Towards a New Police Culture in Buenos Aires, Argentina"
- Dissertation Committee: Ann Mische (chair), Erin McDonnell, Lynette Spillman, Guillermo Trejo, Marcelo Bergman
- Research and Teaching Interests: States and Statebuilding Processes; Cultural Sociology; Urban Studies; Security and Policing; Informal/ Illicit Markets; Mixed Methods; Latin America
Dissertation title: “Non-Agentic Events and Policymaking: Toward Earthquake Mitigation in Twentieth-Century Japan and the United States.”
Dissertation committee: Lyn Spillman (chair), Terence McDonnell, Omar Lizardo, J. Samuel Valenzuela, Kiyoteru Tsutsui (University of Michigan).
Research and teaching interests: Risk, disaster, culture, science and technology, political sociology, environmental sociology, comparative-historical sociology, collective behavior, social movements, East Asia
- Dissertation Title: "Emotional Contagion in Status Hierarchies"
- Dissertation Committee: Jessica Collett (co-chair), Erika Summers-Effler (co-chair), David Gibson, Erin McDonnell
- Research and Teaching Interests: Social Psychology, Emotions, Statistics and Methods, Group Processes, Family